I just saw this AMAZING recipe on the A Foodie’s Affairs blog and NEEDED to share. I hope you love it. To visit her gorgeous blog for more amazing recipes please click HERE
But for now – Enjoy !
- 1 cup dry organic whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup boiled filtered water
- 8 medjool dates
- 50 g raw pistachios
- 100 g blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 200 ml organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon dried hibiscus flowers
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 200 ml full cream milk, extra for serving
- a pinch of ground cardamom
- Add the boiled water to dry couscous in a pan or a glass bowl and cover tightly.
- Leave for 10-15 mins to rehydrate (absorb al the water). *Check couscous packet instructions for suggested amount of liquid and cooking time.
- In a small bowl cover dates with warm water, leave aside to soften.
For the syrup
- Add all syrup ingredients to a small pan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and drain, discarding hibiscus flowers and star anise.
- Return red liquid to heat and add maple syrup.
- Simmer on low- medium heat for 2 mins, then remove from heat.
- Warm up your milk, add a pinch of ground cardamom and stir, transfer to a serving bottle.
- Drain the dates, halve each date and discard the pits.
- Fluff up couscous using a fork and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add nuts and dates to couscous and mix gently to combine.
- Divide couscous mixture equally into 4 bowls, pour the warm cardamom milk on top then drizzle each bowl with the sweet hibiscus maple syrup.
- Serve with extra nuts, warm milk and syrup.