I love this delicious sticky meal, it is so seriously satisfying and comforting and the lemons really give it a lift in flavour.
- 6 x lamb shanks, trimmed
- 2 x brown onions, diced
- 1 L chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup kalamata olives, rinsed
- 2.5 Tbls fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup seasoned flour to coat lamb
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 x zest of a whole lemon
- 1 tspn lightly toasted saffron, steeped in hot water
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn pepper
Wash meat then pat dry and coat in the flour mix. 3 at a time brown in a large heavy based pot in olive oil then move to a plate.
Add the Garlic, Ginger and Onions and cook until the onions begin to soften.
Add the juice, rind, saffron, and stock then simmer for a minute. Add the lamb then cover with the mixture.
Cook for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours or until the lamb is very tender and falling from the bones.
Add the chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes then add the olives and cook for 5 minutes until heated through.
Serve with rice or crusty bread